Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Review: Are We There Yet by David Levithan

Are We There Yet by David Levithan 

I must first confess that I read this book a fair few months ago, and in the fuss of university and going home for Christmas and coming back again, I completely forgot to review it. Another confession I'm going to make is that I re-read a loved novel The Faults in Our Stars by John Green. So instead of reading one of my many unread books to give you new reviewing material, I read a book you already have a review on. I apologise, but you know, some books are worth rereading, time and love. However, I devote myself to read much, much more! And to actually write the reviews more, so lets start of by writing this one...



 Danny isn't used to having something in common with Elijah, however slight. Their last name is the rope that ties them together.

Danny and Elijah's lives could not be more different. But a journey together sweeps them up in the romance, wonder and breathtaking beauty of Italy. And falling in love opens their eyes to the distance that's grown between them.

Can one girl remind them of want it means to be brothers?


Review


Are We There Yet is the first book, for me, in a very long time, that I've sat down and read in one. I picked it up one day - hopelessly out of John Green to read, hoping there would be similarities as they wrote Will Grayson, Will Grayson together. 


I wouldn't say it is the kind of book that is so packed of action that you have to read it continuously. But it is mysterious, it raises questions for the characters in ways we think they'll show little humanity. The characters however show us the morals behind the book. 


The novel is based around brothers who lost their connection from when they were young, due to age differences and leaving home. They have been tricked into going on holiday together by their parents (mostly their mother) who wants her children to get along again.


For most of the holiday the brothers stick to their ways of shutting each other out and going about their own thing - what they want to do. This is until a girl walks into both their lives and changes their perspectives.


This character, I found, is not a particularly likeable character. She is indecisive and seems to use the main characters for what she wants. Her life seems a shambles and she wants to cause destruction in other's lives that she interrupts. 


However how the brothers deal with this interruption shows the strength of their relationship, whether they realise it is still there or not. She manages to remind one brother of his loyalty, which triggers his memories with his brother as a child. Once the initial walls come down both of the brothers become comfortable and less protective in each others company. 


This is not my typical type of novel to read, I thought the emphasis on love and relationship between the male and female characters would be more. However, I am glad I read this book as it shows how other types of relationships such as family ones, can be just as important. 


The moral of this story, to remember how much your family mean to you, and I think everyone needs to be reminded of this sometimes. 


On another note, isn't the cover simply beautiful? This is the edition I have, but look at this other cover design for the book... even more simple and even more beautiful... wow


4/5


Thank you to Harper Collins for sending me this lovely book to review!

No comments:

Post a Comment