Saturday, November 05, 2011

Matched by Ally Condie


Book name: Matched
Author: Ally Condie 
Series: Book one

In the Society, Officials decide. 
Who you love. 
Where you work. 
When you die.
Cassia has always trusted their choices. It’s hardly any price to pay for a long life, the perfect job, the ideal mate. So when her best friend appears on the Matching screen, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is the one… until she sees another face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black. Now Cassia is faced with impossible choices: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she’s known and a path no one else has ever dared follow — between perfection and passion.




Admittedly it has been a couple months since I actually read this book but it is not the kind of story you forget. Yes, it's one of those books that take your heart for prisoner and have you thinking about it for days even weeks after. 

If you haven't read this book yet then it's not what you think, I know it sounds a lot like Lauren Oliver's Delirium and truthfully that's why I bought it, but it's not. Yes there are some similarities, but they are unique to each other and so I am not gonna compare them. 

Matched has a very fast pace with events in the story line which keeps you on your toes, it's a pretty unpredictable story, however the love that grows between the two main characters is slow and subtle. The contrast of the both is amazingly written and pulls you right into Cassia's world where you will cry with her, fear with her and smile with her. At times the wrong boy took my heart, Xander (how cool is that name?), as his character is lovely (and totally the kind of boy I'd let steal my heart) but in the end I warmed to Ky. Through Cassia's journey we discovers Ky's past and his story really shows how what's on the surface reflects nothing of what's inside a person. I really love how Ky shows her bit by bit what made him him and I adore how through teaching her to write he taught her how to love. 

I think the main meaning behind Cassia's story is that against all odds, the world against you, rules, death, being separated, being different... love survives and in the end love can not be coordinated and scheduled as love is spontaneous and love should be free. 

The ending both breaks your heart and allows you to have hope. Making the wait for Crossed torture, but it's out in the UK on the 24th of this month and it's just been released in the US.  

I don't want to give to much away because this story is a discovery in itself and so if you haven't already you need to discover it! I really enjoyed this book, I am so a dystopian geek right now. 

5/5! Amazing! 

1 comment:

  1. Another one of my favourite books and one that I will defend till I die. So glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete